Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Grandma, you were an oldschool PLAYA!!

You guys have all (well not all mostly just the lennox kiddos) been doing the three things i appreciate, so here is something i truely appreciate: My Great Aunt Mavis!!!
After my grandma's funeral, I got a ride back to Winnipeg with my grandmas sister, so i guess she would be my grea aunt (mavis) and her son (doug). I knew from before that she had met her husband at university in some german class, but as i've learned university classes are much different than high school classes. You may recognize people but u rarely know more that five maybe ten if ur very very lucky, example biology out of a class of about 250 i know a grand total of 1 person, although i recognize likely a good ten fifteen people, where as my english class, out of a total of about 50 people i know 6 people and recognize about twenty others. Just a little insight for all u highschool kiddos. Then again maybe its just me and my shyness that causes this but im pretty sure thats how it is for everyone, unless you have a lab which is a different situation, which i have yet to experience lol.
Back to the point so we were sitting in the car and i was like "Mavis I know you and cliff (her late husband) met in your german class in university, but i mean how did you guys met?" and she told me about how she kept getting these notes from someone in her class and she didnt know who. That she didnt even really know of cliff until one day when he walked into class with a massive black eye, but she still didnt really know who he was, she just recognized him, and he sat a couple rows behind her. Then one day the note said something to the effect of 'i sit two rows behind you and i was wondering if you would like to go to coffee with me' but that she was actually going out with someone at the time, but that they got together later after the guy dropped her. She went on to tell me a bunch of other stuff about their relationship too. But i think thats sooo cute, and pretty romantic lol I've known my aunt Mavis my entire life but never really looked into her life with detail.
She then told me about my grandparents, how my grandpa was likely the best dancer in strathclair ( anyone who knows my grandpa, is likely like i was at the time, WILF COULD DANCE?!?!) but ya and that mavis loved getting to dance with him, but that at the time my grandma was going pretty steady with some guy that no one in our family liked, but that my grandma lee as usual was going out with numerous people one of them being my grandpa. In fact Mavis said that on the day that my grandma Monty called Mavis to tell her that she was getting married that Mavis was like NOOO Monty, you cant get married to him, then my grandma was like "arent you even going to ask who I'm getting married to?" ( I'd just like to say I think thats really funny that you who have to ask who are you getting married to, lol i mean really how many people have you had to ask who when they tell you they are engaged??) which is when Mavis found out that she was getting married to my grandpa wilf. This is likely where i told my aunt that her and my grandma were totally old school players!! lol

So today I have a challange in my blog, that everyone should go home and ask there grandparents how they met, and i dont just mean the basic story i mean the real, gorry detailed story. This is not only because they are actually super interesting but also cause our grandparents are unfortunatly unrenewable resources, and you'll regret it if you dont. I dont mean to be a downer, just saying my mind here. Well ill catch you on the flip side, laterz

1 comment:

B-Rad said...

Well I had to ask about this for Canadian history and I'm pretty sure they just met at school. That's mom's side of the family. Dad's is a little different. They met during the war I'll assume at one of the many dances the English put on for the Canadian soldiers. They got married in England and after the war Grandma moved to Canada. I'd ask for the story but I don't think anyone would know.